The Controller is responsible for providing Regional, Division management, Corporate office and Joint Venture partners with Divtimely and accurate financial statements, reports, forecasts, and analysis, performing accounting services, complying with company accounting policies and procedures, and ensuring compliance with internal reporting requirements. This is a management level position and directly responsible for overseeing the Accounting department. #LI-JS1
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Controller manages the functional operations of the Accounting staff and directly oversees Accounts Payable and the Budget department. The group's duties include:
- Prepare timely and accurate monthly financial statements, reports and forecasts as required by Lennar policy and reviewed with executive staff.
- Responsible for JV accounting, compliance, and preparation of financial reporting packages.
- Ensure division compliance with corporate policies and procedures, Sarbanes-Oxley requirements, and JV operating agreements. Meet the corporate reporting deadlines as outlined on corporate calendar.
- Prepare annual financial plans and updates. Prepare monthly forecast and updates.
- Coordinate and review budgets and conduct monthly job revision budget reviews with division personnel. Assist in development and monitoring of general and administrative budgets for JV’s and division. Review budgets monthly with senior management.
- Manage cash flows for all JV’s to ensure adequate cash at all times, request capital contributions, prepare distributions.
- Manage bank loans including coordination with lenders, draw requests, interest calculation and accrual and reporting.
- Responsible for the coordination of divisional and JV audits with internal and external auditors and respond to corporate audit requests.
- Responsible for the coordination of the divisional and JV audits with internal and external auditors and respond to corporate audit requests.
- Evaluate new opportunities and provide input into purchase and sale agreements, operating agreements, management agreements.
- Oversee the processing of invoices to ensure the accurate and timely payment of all vendors and subcontractors in accordance with contracts and budgets, and ensure that real property is protected from mechanics liens.
- Assist in the preparation and presentation of the Quarterly Operations review meetings.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor of Science degree with emphasis in accounting and finance.
- Homebuilding experience required.
- Understanding of generally accepted accounting principles, cost accounting with the emphasis on job costing, and a background in income tax and real estate law.
- Several years of progressive accounting experience, through the controller level.
- Extensive knowledge of joint venture accounting policies desirable.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions.
- Able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Proficiency with various computer hardware, software and accounting systems that are used in the real estate industry. JDEdwards accounting system experience desirable.
- Good language skills, both written and oral.
- Deal with stress and frustrations of fast-paced job.
- Work late hours and weekend overtime as required from time to time.
- Follow directions from a supervisor
- Interact well with co-workers
- Understand and follow posted work rules and procedures
- Accept constructive criticism
This is primarily a sedentary office position which requires the ability to occasionally bend, stoop, reach, lift, move and carry office materials and supplies weighing 25 pounds or less. Finger dexterity is required to operate a computer keyboard and calculator. May be required to operate a motor vehicle
At CalAtlantic, we value every individual’s perspective and contribution. We are dedicated to creating a diverse environment where people can share their own backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, and ideas. CalAtlantic is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and treats all individuals fairly and in accordance with all applicable laws. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package while creating a collaborative working environment.
Except where prohibited, all employment is conditioned upon a satisfactory investigation into a candidate’s suitability. This may include a candidate’s work and criminal history. While applicants are not asked about criminal history at the initial application stage, a criminal background check may be conducted at the conditional offer stage, and may be considered where relevant and job related in CalAtlantic’s opinion, and consistent with applicable law. A conditional offer of employment will not automatically be revoked because of a conviction, and a variety of factors will be considered. Candidates who receive a conditional offer will be required to pass a drug screen conducted in accordance with applicable law. CalAtlantic reserves the right to revoke any conditional offer of employment.