Be a part of CalAtlantic Group, Inc. where building the dream of home from coast to coast is our mission. Our culture is established from great leadership and dynamic teams across the country, driven to become the preferred builder of choice for customers, employees and shareholders. As the nation’s fourth largest residential homebuilder, CalAtlantic Homes proudly operates in 19 states serving 43 major markets. As a talented organization with a long proven history of success, CalAtlantic provides you the opportunity to join this outstanding team in the new homebuilding industry.
The VP of Land Acquisition & Development is responsible for identifying, analyzing, negotiating and acquiring new projects for the division. Additional responsibilities include hiring and training the land acquisition department and working closely with management to support the Company’s overall strategic plan.
This role is a great opportunity for a seasoned landprofessional to join one of the nation’s largest and most-respected homebuilders. #LI-BR1
Responsibilities Will Include:
- Recruits, hires, evaluates, trains, develops and retains a productive and highly engaged land department.
- Ensures that land acquisition policies, internal control procedures and practices are well understood and complied with
- Creates an annual strategic land plan defining geographic, product and pricing goals to guide acquisition efforts and support the Company’s overall strategic plan
- Consults with the Division President regarding strategic planning and assists finance personnel in preparation of the division’s annual business plan
- Monitors land use and fee issues in jurisdictions within the division market area
- Conducts general market research focusing on regional employment, demographics, sales volume and competition
- Identifies specific acquisition opportunities that meet corporate and division strategic goals
- Briefs management on targeted acquisitions; obtains approval for capital expenditures
- Coordinates with project management team to ensure effective transfer of information from acquisition to development
- Generates acquisition opportunities by developing trusted relationships with a network of industry contacts including land brokers, land developers and landowners in the relevant areas of operation
- Oversees the preparation of acquisition investment committee submittals/feasibility packages including product recommendations, financial analysis and risk mitigation measures
- Completes financial analysis (including specific research studies) and directs due diligence for potential acquisitions
- Conducts and evaluates risk associated with potential acquisition
- Acts as a liaison with all municipalities in feasibility, zoning, platting and development of property
- Prepares and negotiates letters of intent, agreements and other related legal documents, in accordance with company policies & procedures
- Oversees the land acquisition escrow and entitlement process
- Coordinates outside legal counsel, consultants, and internal staff in acquisition efforts.
Candidates Will Need to Meet the Follow Qualifications:
- Strong leadership, project management, and budgeting skills required
- Ability to prepare and analyze financial statements/documents, prepare acquisition packages and create & implement work plans
- Ability to translate market data into community concepts
- Ability to provide thoughtful risk assessments on market viability, construction costs and building rights
- Understanding of and ability to negotiate complex legal documents
- Ability to direct numerous professional consultants through acquisition
- Strong interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient in Microsoft applications including Outlook, Word and Excel
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, real estate or MBA preferred
- Strong background with financial models/analysis
- 7-10 years related experience, including relevant homebuilding experience.
At CalAtlantic, we value every individual’s perspective and contribution. We are dedicated to creating a diverse environment where people can share their own backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, and ideas. CalAtlantic is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and treats all individuals fairly and in accordance with all applicable laws. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package while creating a collaborative working environment.
Except where prohibited, all employment is conditioned upon a satisfactory investigation into a candidate’s suitability. This may include a candidate’s work and criminal history. While applicants are not asked about criminal history at the initial application stage, a criminal background check may be conducted at the conditional offer stage, and may be considered where relevant and job related in CalAtlantic’s opinion, and consistent with applicable law. A conditional offer of employment will not automatically be revoked because of a conviction, and a variety of factors will be considered. Candidates who receive a conditional offer will be required to pass a drug screen conducted in accordance with applicable law. CalAtlantic reserves the right to revoke any conditional offer of employment.