Be a part of CalAtlantic Group, Inc. where building the dream of home from coast to coast is our mission. Our culture is established from great leadership and dynamic teams across the country, driven to become the preferred builder of choice for customers, employees and shareholders. As the nation’s fourth largest residential homebuilder, CalAtlantic Homes proudly operates in 19 states serving 43 major markets. As a talented organization with a long proven history of success, CalAtlantic provides you the opportunity to join this outstanding team in the new homebuilding industry.
The Purchasing Agent is responsible for coordinating between team members and trade partners to ensure an effective contract negotiation, selection and evaluation process from bid packages, final contract award and completion of work.
This role is a great opportunity for an experienced purchasing agent with homebuilding experience to join one of the nation’s largest and most-respected homebuilders.
Responsibilities Will Include:
- Builds and maintains effective relationships with trade partners in local market
- Obtains and evaluates all documents/data required for bidding, including specifications, scopes of work, architectural documents, site plans, soils reports, community guidelines and all other pertinent documents that affect vertical costs of construction
- Works collaboratively with construction and customer care to ensure scopes of work for each trade are clearly understood and adhered to by trade partners
- Negotiates with trade partners to determine selection based upon bid comparison (prepare, solicit and evaluate bids), in compliance/alignment with company policies and procedures
- Works collaboratively with construction and customer care to manage trade partner performance monitoring within the division (i.e. cost, quality, productivity, service)
- Responsible for JDE, Buzzsaw and any community file setup required, including budgets, bid spreadsheets, MSA’s, bid list maintenance and lien release information
- Prepares and communicates sequence sheets, maps, plan and phasing information as new phases are released to construction
- Initiates and processes necessary documentation regarding option requests to trade partners, field personnel, sales and accounting departments
- Reviews requests for construction changes and extras with assigned Construction Managers, Purchasing Manager/Director and other division team members
- Researches, evaluates and provides recommendations for new product development
- Participates in value engineering efforts and identifies areas for improvement
- Works with architecture to confirm product availability when assessing new product elevations or new community site conditions
- Attends frame walks, designer walks, and/or collaborative team meetings in the office or field as requested or required
- Provides mentoring and direction to other purchasing personnel as necessary
- Prepares onsite estimate per trade, plan and elevation (costs and quantities) to determine project costs
- Inputs original pro-formas, maintains budgets and provide quarterly budget updates/reports
- Conducts periodic market analysis to benchmark labor costs and quantities for optimization
- Maintains weekly, semi-monthly and monthly reports (ie. Lot scrubbing, JA maintenance, PBCR comparison, option margin reporting and pricing structure). Assists management in identifying improvement opportunities
- Enhances database and reporting capability with an understanding of base house and option cost relationships
- Reviews onsite costs to date received from accounting and estimates cost to complete per phase
- Ensures MSA’s/contracts and/or contract addendums are produced in accordance with company policy
- Ensures all department procedures and internal control requirements are met.
Candidates Will Need to Meet the Follow Qualifications:
- Ability to develop and improve trade partner relationships
- Strong estimating, takeoff and budgeting skills
- Strong construction knowledge (technical activities and processes)
- Ability to read building plans/blueprints
- Highly analytical, in terms of quantitative (mathematical) and qualitative (trade quality assessment) skills.
- Knowledge of JD Edwards strongly preferred
- Proficient in Microsoft applications including Outlook, Word and Excel
- Bachelor’s degree in construction management, business administration or related field preferred
- 3 years previous purchasing or supply chain experience and/or 5 years of residential development field operations, with strong scheduling experience required.
At CalAtlantic, we value every individual’s perspective and contribution. We are dedicated to creating a diverse environment where people can share their own backgrounds, experiences, perspectives, and ideas. CalAtlantic is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and treats all individuals fairly and in accordance with all applicable laws. We offer a competitive salary and benefits package while creating a collaborative working environment.
Except where prohibited, all employment is conditioned upon a satisfactory investigation into a candidate’s suitability. This may include a candidate’s work and criminal history. While applicants are not asked about criminal history at the initial application stage, a criminal background check may be conducted at the conditional offer stage, and may be considered where relevant and job related in CalAtlantic’s opinion, and consistent with applicable law. A conditional offer of employment will not automatically be revoked because of a conviction, and a variety of factors will be considered. Candidates who receive a conditional offer will be required to pass a drug screen conducted in accordance with applicable law. CalAtlantic reserves the right to revoke any conditional offer of employment.